Press "Enter" to skip to content

International Finance Corporation | James Horne

This past summer I interned with the International Finance Corporation (IFC) within the modeling team. My specific work focused on IFC Fragile and Conflict-Affected Situations (FCS) Division, a group of nations that struggle with a variety of unique factors (social and armed conflict, exclusion of marginalized groups, low levels of trust in public institutions, etc).

My summer project looked at developing frameworks to assist the IFC conduct ex ante and post ante evaluation of projects in FCS countries. I conducted research on a range of countries and ended up building four country specific frameworks that analyzed the drivers of fragility. I collected development indicator data and developed four primers that characterized conflict and fragility in a specific country, and connected conflict drivers and development gaps with existing World Bank Group development goals. This project helped me understand the systematic approach the IFC takes in evaluating their investments, while furthering my understanding development gap trends of fragile states.

Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 I conducted my internship remotely, but that did not prevent me from connecting with a wide range of practitioners. I was invited to observe an investment proposal briefing to IFC investment officers on a potential project in Latin America. This experience allowed me to strengthened my understanding on the decision-making process behind a development project.

I am grateful for the opportunity to work with the International Finance Corporation. As an U.S. Army Officer, I appreciated the opportunity to tie my previous work experience to developing frameworks that tie in unique conflict and fragility considerations to development and peace. I am thankful for the Carlucci family’s generous support during my summer.